Warning: Graphic content
A former staffer to Alan Jones who alleges the broadcaster indecently assaulted him as a young man has hit back at suggestions in court that only young children can be groomed by would-be abusers.
Jones, 85, is standing trial on 20 counts of indecent assault and two counts of sexual touching relating to six male complainants between 2003 and 2020. He vehemently denies the allegations.
Complainant “C”, the second man to give evidence in the trial in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court, has alleged Jones kissed him and touched him on the penis without his consent when he worked as a staffer to the broadcaster almost 20 years ago.
At the time of the alleged assaults, which span a five-month period, “C” was aged in his early 20s.
During cross-examination on Thursday, Jones’ barrister, Gabrielle Bashir, SC, showed “C” a message he sent Jones after the former talkback host announced his retirement from 2GB, which was signed off with “love always xo”. The text was sent many years after the alleged assaults.
In the message, “C” wrote: “You have only ever treated me with great decency and tremendous generosity. Your kindness towards me has never, ever wavered.”
Asked by Bashir if he could have merely said “congratulations”, “C” said he was groomed to write in that manner.
“Well, grooming is something that happens to young children,” Bashir said.
“C” responded: “I believe grooming is secretive behaviour that makes you feel you need to behave in a certain way, and you are taught to act in a certain way.
“That used to happen, because he used to touch me on the penis.”
After “C” agreed he was in his 30s in 2020, more than a decade after the alleged indecent assaults, Bashir suggested Jones never groomed him.
“I disagree,” “C” said.
“I was a young man. He was 40 to 45 years older than me, and I was a junior staffer … I still felt that level of power in 2020 because he still was remaining in the media.”
Bashir repeated the assertion that there was no reason for him to say more than “congratulations”.
The man said he felt that was how he needed to write it to him at the time, but wished he didn’t.
Earlier on Thursday, “C” rejected suggestions his allegations against the former broadcaster stood to benefit Jones’ then-colleague Ray Hadley.
“C” has testified that he confided in Hadley in 2019 that Jones indecently assaulted him more than a decade earlier.
Bashir put to “C” that Hadley “was in a position to benefit from any publication” of indecent assault allegations against Jones. “C” said he did not agree.
Bashir suggested Hadley and Jones were breakfast radio rivals on 2GB, a characterisation rejected by “C”. “[Jones] just re-signed. That had nothing to do with it,” he said.
Complainant “C” denied that he had rehearsed a story in recent years about Jones allegedly indecently assaulting him. “You don’t have to rehearse the truth,” he said.
The trial continues.
Support is available from the National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service at 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732) or the Men’s Referral Service on 1300 766 491.
Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.
From our partners
Read the full article here
