They’re having a blast.
Knucklehead amateur pyrotechnicians staged a stunning illegal fireworks show off Los Angeles’ iconic, beleaguered Sixth Street Bridge — drawing sparks from one of Mayor Karen Bass’ challengers.
A viral Feb. 13 post on Instagram claims to document a “safely coordinated” firework spectacle on the bridge linking Downtown LA with Boyle Heights, despite the video showing exploding fireworks shower sparks on spectators and a scooter weave through incendiaries.
Longtime public servant Asaad Alnajjar, a mayoral election contender, flamed the fiery foolishness.
“The bridge isn’t a sanctioned venue, and calling it ‘safely coordinated’ doesn’t make it safe or legal,” he said. “This kind of stunt puts bystanders and first responders at risk — period. We can’t allow this chaos in Los Angeles.”
The colorful antics also drew a slew of online snark, particularly because the rebuilt bridge dubbed the “Ribbon of Light” had been plunged into darkness after copper thieves stripped wiring illuminating the structure.
“The only way that Bridge will have lights again,” one Instagram user drily posted.
Alnajjar likewise lamented the wily wire thieves, and put Bass and city lawmakers on blast.
“Because of the ongoing wire theft, the 6th Street Bridge is already dark and still hasn’t been properly repaired — largely due to inaction and budget cuts of repair funding from Los Angeles City Mayor Karen Bass and 15 Councilmembers,” he said.
The picturesque viaduct bridge has a storied history, with its first incarnation being prominently in classic films such as “Terminator 2,” “The Naked Gun” and “To Live and Die in L.A.”
Structural issues led to its demolition in 2016, but it was resurrected six years later with a flashy LED light design.
The revival wasn’t a smooth one, however.
Copper thieves and graffiti artists quickly ransacked the new bridge, which also became a popular spot for illegal fireworks shows, CBS LA reported in 2023.
Read the full article here

