Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar on Wednesday denied allegations she knew about a widespread fraud scheme, following the Vice President’s claims that the Department of Justice (DOJ) was investigating her.
Omar’s statement to Newsweek also followed an allegation from the purported mastermind of the $250 million meals scam that Omar was in on the conspiracy, adding fuel to ongoing accusations by some within the Trump administration that the Representative has committed various forms of fraud, including immigration.
“Any claim that I had knowledge of this scheme is flat-out false,” Omar said in her statement shared with Newsweek. “The moment this fraud came to light, I immediately sent a letter to the USDA Secretary demanding answers and accountability. As I stated from the beginning, stealing millions of dollars under the guise of feeding hungry children to bankroll lavish lifestyles and extravagant expenses is reprehensible.”
Newsweek reached out to the DOJ for further comment via email on Wednesday afternoon.
Accusations Against Omar: What To Know
Aimee Bock, founder of the nonprofit Feeding Our Future, who was convicted of conspiracy, bribery, and wire fraud in March 2025, said in an interview from jail last week that Omar was in on the scam, which saw restaurant owners file fake or inflated claims during the pandemic, stealing millions of dollars in child nutrition funds.
“I struggle to believe that she wouldn’t have known,” Bock told The New York Post of Omar in a video interview.
She also said she did not knowingly participate in the fraud and tried to warn officials.
Omar had introduced the MEALS Act to Congress in March 2020, which then allowed the U.S. Department of Agriculture to issue waivers for school meal requirements when making payments.
“The MEALS Act was signed into law by President Trump and passed with bipartisan support as part of a broader legislative package,” Omar said in her statement. “Trump’s USDA Secretary set the regulatory framework during the rollout of the program.
“I’m grateful that Aimee Bock and every individual involved in this abhorrent scheme are being held accountable for defrauding taxpayers and betraying vulnerable children.”
This is a breaking news story. Updates to follow.
Read the full article here

