Marine Le Pen is poised to find out whether she can stand in future French elections after a French court found her guilty of embezzling EU funds to pay party staff on Monday.
Why It Matters
Le Pen is a key figure in French politics who has been gaining traction in polls ahead of the next presidential election, which is in 2027.
However, her hopes for political ascent hit a roadblock when she and 24 other officials in her party, the National Rally, were accused in November of misusing European Parliament funds between 2004 and 2016.
Prosecutors accused Le Pen and the party officials of diverting money intended to pay parliamentary aides to instead pay for party expenses that were separate from European Union work in a so-called fake jobs scam.
The European Union has estimated the allegedly embezzled funds amount to around €7m.
Le Pen and the others charged consistently denied any wrongdoing during the nine-week trial. “It’s my political death they are after,” she said in November.
What To Know
The prosecutor called for a €300,000 fine and prison term, as well as ineligibility for running for public office for five years. This would impact Le Pen’s ability to seek the French presidency in 2027.
The judges can also convict her but suspend her ineligibility for public office pending any appeal.
The sentencing is expected later today.
What People Are Saying
In an interview with La Tribune du Dimanche on Sunday, Le Pen expressed confidence: “I’ve read here and there that we’re feverish,” she said. “Personally, I’m not nervous, but I can understand why we might be: with provisional execution, the judges have the right of life or death over our movement. But I don’t think they will go so far as to do it.”
The extent to which a guilty verdict will damage the National Rally politically is unclear. Funding scandals have affected other French political parties over the years and some French commentators have criticized judges for potentially interfering in France’s choice of leader.
Newsweek contacted representatives for Le Pen by email to comment on this story.
What Happens Next
Judges began reading out verdicts on Monday morning but presiding judge Bénédicte de Perthuis has warned of a “long” wait.
“There is no desire on the part of the court to maintain suspense, but it will proceed as usual, giving a number of explanations of the decision taken,” she said.
If Le Pen is barred from running, Jordan Bardella, the National Rally’s president, may take over her role.
Read the full article here