Taiwan said it had not been informed the Pentagon had put a potential $14 billion arms package on hold.

Taiwan’s Presidential Office took note of the update, announced Thursday by Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao, but had not received information about any change to the deal, local media quoted spokesperson Karen Kuo as saying.

The move is intended to preserve weapons stockpiles should the war with Iran escalate again, Cao told a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing.

“Right now we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury— which we have plenty,” he said.

The conflict, paused since Washington and Tehran reached a temporary ceasefire on April 7, has depleted U.S. supplies of missile interceptors.

Hung’s remarks add to uncertainty surrounding the package, offering a more logistical rationale than that given by President Donald Trump, who has yet to approve it.

The deal was raised in Trump’s talks last week with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the U.S. leader told reporters, saying he had put the potential sale “in abeyance” and had not yet decided whether to proceed.

Trump has said he plans to discuss the issue with Taiwan President Lai Ching-te, a move likely to draw objections from Beijing, which opposes official contact with Taipei.

China considers Taiwan a breakaway province and regularly protests U.S. arms sales to the self‑ruled island.

Newsweek reached out to White House by email with a request for comment.

Read the full article here

Share.
Leave A Reply

2026 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Exit mobile version